THE REV. DR. ALVAN N. JOHNSON, JR.
Pastor – Grant A.M.E. Church, Boston MA
New England Annual Conference
15 Reed Court, Bloomfield, Connecticut 06002
B. A. University of Massachusetts – 1971
T.H.M. Boston University – 1974
D. Min. Boston University – 1981
- Serving as Adjunct Professor – Hartford Seminary since 1987
- Serving as Adjunct Professor – Union Theological Seminary since 2004
- Ambassador for Boston University
- Former Trustee for Hartford Seminary
- Lectured throughout the United States, Europe, Canada, Africa and the former Soviet Union.
- Lectured at every high school in Greater Hartford, CT area
- Taught, lectured and preached in six of Connecticut’s prisons.
- Taught at The Ministerial Institute of the New England Annual Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the New York Annual Conference
- 45 years of pastoral experience.
- Pastored of Bethel A. M. E. Church, Bloomfield, CT for 29 years. He lead the congregation in erecting a $2.5 million edifice
- Life member of N.A.A.C.P.
- Served on the Charter Revision Committee for the City of Hartford
- Chaired two Mayoralty Campaigns in Hartford, CT.
- Past President of Greater Hartford Ministerial Alliance
- Past Board President of the Capital Region Conference of Churches.
- Served as Hartford Fellow American Leadership Forum.
- Serves as Adjunct Faculty at Yale University.
- Served as President of Bloomfield, CT Clergy Association
- Served on National Council of Churches.
- Served on the Congress of National Black Churches.
- Serveson Connectional Social Action Commission of the A.M.E. Church
- Serves as the First District Director of Social Action of the A.M.E. Church
- Member of the Urban League.
- Received numerous awards and recognition from U.S. Senators, Representatives, local officials, as well as many community and civic organizations.
- Certificate earner from Oxford University. England.
- Served as moderator for the NAACP’s Presidential Debate in New Hampshire.
- He has been narrator for performances of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra.
- Appointed Presiding Elder of the Brooklyn/Westchester District of the New York Annual Conference of the A.M.E. Church in November, 2007 – 2013
- Appointed Pastor of Grant A.M.E. Church, Boston, MA. 2013 to Present.
- Born in Claremore, Oklahoma, raised in Plains, GA and Boston, MA.
- Served in United States Air Force 33rd Degree Prince Hall Mason
- November 2013 Appointed Pastor to Grant A.M.E. Church of Boston MA.
- 33rd Degree Prince Hall Mason
- Married to Betty Jean Wright-Johnson a grade Principal at Manchester High School, Manchester, CT